Wednesday, June 13, 2012

While Kids are Sleeping...

So this is something I've been working on off and on for months and now it is finally finished:
It is an architectural rendering of the Rexburg, ID temple.
The New Revised Edition
The original I did for a rendering class in college. It is a three point perspective drawing using the floor plans to draw it to scale. You draw it layer upon layer with tracing paper, starting with the basic box shapes and then adding more detail with each layer. It took about half the semester.  At the end of the semester we presented it to the class and had it critiqued by the professor and the class. As often happens I ran out of time near the end and started throwing things in just to get it done.  As a result of that there were several things that I didn't like about it so I decided, using the original drawings, to try and fix some things.  I wasn't able to fix everything I wanted to since I no longer have the floor plans but I was able to fix a few things.  The landscaping was one thing that really bothered me with the original.  The Rexburg Temple was still under construction at the time I made it so I really didn't have much to go off of.  Since I was just trying to get it done by the time I got to the landscaping I decided to do the quickest thing I could think of... pave most of it over, add a little grass on the side, and throw in a "teacup" fountain, as my professor referred to it (that was one of the things attacked the most in my critique, and rightly so, it doesn't really fit).  I still wasn't able to get the landscaping totally right since I don't have the plans and all I had to go off of was pictures online, but still it is better, and no "teacup" fountain.

The Original

Lauren wanted to color a temple too, so I gave one of my practice ones.
 She made sure there was a sunshine and lots of balloons.


4 comments:

  1. Wow I love it Hannah. I think it looks great. Both versions, I wouldn't have been a good critique :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I recall "critiqueing" that fountain. I have to say that final looks amazing. I miss our good ole days in architecture classes(though it is much nicer having a job which I can support my family on). Your family looks great. I hope all is well for you and yours.

    Luke Mecham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Could I pay you to do one for me? Yeesh! I mostly take naps during nap time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't that the project you were working on when we roomed together? I remembered those mornings and your alarm going off from oh about 3 am till about 7, with me yelling at you all morning to turn that dang alarm off! haha oh Hannah. That's cool that you've done another one though.

    ReplyDelete