Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fourth of July Festivities



Apparently she was being chased
For the fourth we went to our ward pancake breakfast at the church the went to check out the parade with some friends.  For some reason I assumed all parades were like the ones I'd seen in Utah and on TV: floats, marching bands, horses, firetrucks, people throwing candy, interspersed with various political figures riding in convertibles and the sidewalks are packed with people on camp chairs and blankets.  Fun, right?  So going in with this expectation Bloomington's parade was kind of lame, and as Ryan put it some of the so called floats were at little "kinky."  There were a lot of fire trucks and dump trucks, flat bed trucks with people waving, and various other trucks. Basically it was like one big Bloomington commercial with various businesses riding down the street with their logo on the side of their truck interspersed with a couple flat bed trucks with people shouting out about what ever they feel like. Some of them did throw candy though, which Lauren thoroughly enjoyed.  Maybe most this is how most parades outside Utah are and my expectations are too high.  I don't know.  Here are some pictures though.

Patriotic Lauren giving a pose
Classic Rachel face





2 comments:

  1. I love reading your writing Hannah because I can totally hear your voice and you crack me up. We loved seeing you guys when you came out to visit Utah, I'm so glad that worked out!

    Also, I loved the boxcar children as a kid too! That list of prompts from the library is a really good idea.

    I'm so glad you guys are doing well, now that we have a little one around I have a much greater respect for you finishing up your degree when you had Lauren. Holy smokes. Have a great day!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parade in Lansing was similar....no floats, no royalty. These people need to see a real parade! I'm glad Lansing isn't the only lame parade city...

    ReplyDelete