Saturday, October 25, 2014

Haircuts for the Woolseys

...actually just one of the Woolseys.  I should preface this by saying that Rachel has asked me to cut her hair several times, and every time I put her off saying that I will do it the next time we do Daddy's.  So perhaps this is actually my fault.
How Rachel's hair looked pre-haircuts
   Rachel took matters into her own hands the past couple weeks. About two weeks ago I was running my fingers through Rachel's hair and noticed that it seemed like she had some bangs and that it was a little bit shorter in some spots. It didn't look bad and it was kind of hard to tell since she has curly hair, so I think it actually took me a couple days to notice. All the same I asked Rachel casually if she cut her hair.  She said calmly "Yes." Then in a whisper (as if we were keeping it a secret from someone else), " I sneaked my scissors and hid behind the play kitchen and cut it." I told her that only mommy cuts hair and asked her not to do it anymore.  Later that day I went and looked behind the play kitchen to retrieve the scissors.  I found the scissors... and a very large pile of curly hair.  It was a lot more than I thought she had cut.  I immediately exclaimed in despair, "Oh Rachel!" she happened to be in the room and shouted, "You said you would still love me!!"  (Explanation: One of Rachel's favorite books is about a little bear who breaks one of his mom's dishes.  He goes to tell his mom but first asks hypothetically if he were to do certain things, if his mother would still love him.  To each situation the mother responds "Yes I will always love you, but you will have to... clean up the mess or help wash baby, etc."  Rachel often likes to ask me if she does something bad if I will still love her. )  I assured her that I still love her, but she is not to cut her hair any more. I lock up the scissors.
    Fast forward to this week.  Rachel comes out with most of the hair along the left and right side of her head cut up to ears, leaving a very long curly rats tail in the back. Yikes. I am still not sure where she got the scissors. As I picked up dirty clothes in her room I kept finding little piles of blonde curls. But it is now time for more drastic measures.  I tried my hand at "fixing" it.

Before I cut her hair:





After I cut her hair:  Hayley Mills anyone?





It is not my favorite haircut.  I really loved her blonde curls, but still it kind of fits her zany personality.  It also requires basically no maintenance, not that I have ever been good at that anyway.


 ALL scissors in the house have now been hidden and locked up for an undetermined amount of time.

1 comment:

  1. We love that book too! Good job on her hair, now you know that it is cute short and long!

    ReplyDelete